Tuesday, September 04, 2007

REMEMBERING HARDWARE

Does anyone remember the short-lived comic series HARDWARE? It was part of a series of books under the imprint name "MILESTONE" - owned by Milestone Media, published through DC Comics. The short-lived imprint was created by African-American writers & artists, who felt there was a severe lack of minority-focused superhero comics on the market (still true).

My favorite book of the imprint was Hardware, which was an IRON MAN-esque book. It was written by DWAYNE McDUFFIE, who has since made a bigger name for himself.

For me, though, the main appeal was the killer artwork by DENYS COWEN! Known mostly for his work on THE QUESTION, Hardware was my introduction to his work and I quickly became a fan. After he left the book and the imprint died out, I never really saw him do anymore regular pencil work - he ventured on to producing television; Static Shock, Boondocks.... Kudos to him, but I'm still bummed he's not penciling a monthly comic.

Anyway, if you see any HARDWARE issues in your local comic shop, grab em! I dug em!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
*Cowen did pencils for Hardware #1-7, 11, 13, 16-18.

No comments: