Thursday, June 05, 2008

MOVIE REVIEW: INDIANA JONES 4

Last week I asked you JimSmash Readers to decide if I see INDY4. The "Yes" peeps won out (barely!) and I actually went to the theater that night. I've thought about the movie and have been having difficulties writing a decent review. Also, I happened upon a bootleg copy and have watched the film a 2nd time. It's now been a week, so in a nutshell....

Indiana Jones 4 is a bad, pointless, dumb, bland sequel to an already diluted series based on a rock-solid first outing (Raiders). It feels like a made-for-TV Reunion special with a horrible, spoon-fed script with often worse dialogue. However, I found myself enjoying it nonetheless. I guess I was just happy to see Indy again, even if he's a pale shadow of his former self.

3 MOST INTOLERABLE SCENES IN INDY4:
* The Fridge (really?)
* Monkey vines! (unforgiveable!!!)
* The end scene (painful)

HERE IS A VISUAL REPRESENTATION OF INDY4:
*Click Image to Enlarge*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 awesome things that negate the 3 terrible thimgs----

1- in Indys classroom he tells the students to read "Michaelson" the same book the class is using in raiders.

2- Hearing the Ark Theme as the giant hangar doors open

3- Hearing Indy talk about Marcus and seeing his pic on Indy's desk (although sadly its a pic of Bumbling Marcus from last crusade, still awesome to see he is not forgotten)


I could go on........

Anonymous said...

3 more terrible things to end the conversation:
1. Where's the army of the undead? Are they the monkey-men in the cemetary or the natives that live in cubbies in the wall?

2. When did groundhogs get funny?

3. "Call it a rope"

I could go on...but I won't

Anonymous said...

That image has been printed and now resides in my office! Great review!

Fraser Lovatt said...

I see that the expression "jump the shark" is now in danger of being replaced with "nuke the fridge."

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/04/is-nuke-the-fridge-the-new-jump-the-shark/

F

Andrew Glazebrook said...

I voted that you go see it, even though I thought it was rubbish. I wouldn't put anyone off going to see something just because I didn't like it much.

Anonymous said...

JIM , do some research
FIND OUT WHY THEY DIDNT GO WITH
" IJ and THE QUEST FOR EXCALIBER "

or some other decent plot


ITS LIKE ive always said , they are gonna kill a franchise when they add space elements to it .
I.E // hellraiser 4 , Lepricaun : back to the hood , and jason X
they ran out of ideas for this franchise , pure and simple
altho considering they could have used the Quest for Excaliber as a real story =/
~yep a major story involving Jones Sr, and Indy ... but noooo they had to hit this Oo~

Unknown said...

It was so much fun. Of course it's not so smart, it's just so much fun to watch on its own merits.