Friday, October 23, 2009

WHEDON'S NEWBORN IDEA

*Top pic from Kenner's "Crab Alien" figure.

You all know my hatred of the Alien NEWBORN seen in Alien: Resurrection. Until the Predalien's arrival, it was the sole bane of the series. I've heard in interviews that script writer Joss Whedon was very displeased with what was put up on screen. Well, here's some snippets from his script to shed some light on what he had envisioned for the Newborn:

An alien, to be sure, but nothing we've seen so far, its forelegs arch out of its back like spiders legs, its back legs set on enormous haunches, thick and powerful. Its head is long, eyeless, like the others, but along its white expanse red veins, coming out of the skin and running like thick black hairs to the back. It has retracted pincers at the side of head that come out when its tongue does. Its much bigger the others, nearly the size of the queen herself. And it's bone white. Whedon’s script also mentions the Newborn has tendrils/tentacles.

Yeesh.

Below pic is the movie version.Trivia: the Newborn's genitals were removed digitally.

6 comments:

allen etter said...

The dumbest looking most unscaring creature ever. HATED the eyes.

allen etter said...

Can't get more simple than that! And yeah, anon, the boobs were weird.

Autonomous said...

I actually liked the newborn as it was in the movie. Then again, i was too young to know better.

kelly said...

I didn't like that film and was unimpressed with the monster. However I thought you wrote "testicles" (not "tentacles") in Wheadon's quote. An alien newborn with both breasts and testicles, I like it.

phillip said...

I did not know they digitally removed the Newborn's genitals. Looking at that pic enlarged I can see why! At first I thought it had a penis dangling out of its belly-vagina.

Reed said...

You and I agree on so very many things. I HATE the newborn.