Friday, January 14, 2011

ALIEN PREQUEL NEWS: IT'S DEAD, JIM

As you may have already heard: FOX & Ridley Scott announced today that the planned ALIEN PREQUEL(S) are officially DEAD. Yep, they're not happening, folks. But the ideas formed in writing the prequels are instead transcending the "Alienverse" and will be a NEW ORIGINAL epic sci-fi by Scott entitled "PROMETHEUS".

Scott tells the Hollywood Reporter:
“While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.” (article)
Personally I'm fine with this. I've never been a fan of the idea of making PREQUELS to Alien, even if done by Scott. I say let the damaged-beyond-repair franchise die and rest in peace. I now enthusiastically look forward to a new sci-fi by Ridley Scott!!!

*thanks for the scoop, Ted Van Duyn!

5 comments:

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Such superb news I did a little sex wee !!

Nik Holmes said...

Phew, that was close. Great news indeed - the best possible outcome by far!

Locusta said...

Well then. So I have to do it. ;)

Fraser Lovatt said...

Not so fast -- this of course means that at some point someone else WILL try and resurrect it. It just means that it won't be Ridley Scott, so it will be worse.

Jim said...

I'd prefer another sequel (without Sigourney) than a prequel.

Prequels are bad.

BAD BAD BAD.