Wednesday, April 20, 2011

RECENT COMICS I REALLY DUG

It's been awhile since I felt compelled to spotlight some good comics.... I really enjoyed these comics:

LOKI
4-issue mini-series, which just wrapped up. It addresses the connection between the Asgardians of Myth with the Asgardians of Marvel, all the while shining light on LOKI and his role in the whole thing. I recommend picking up the issues or the collection.

FEAR ITSELF #1
Wow, I freaking loved this issue! Thank you Matt Fraction for making a Marvel Event I care about (thus far based on a single issue). And thank you Marvel for giving the keys to someone else besides fucking Bendis or Millar.

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #622
The title returns and continues on with the numbering (confusing)! This is a 'Fear Itself' issue and I really enjoyed it. So far, I'm sold on the event. It's like a new Marvel!

UNCANNY X-FORCE #5.1
This stand-alone issue was a lot of fun and a throw back to the Claremont/Silvestri X-Days in the Outback. It's fun and kicks ass - exactly what I want in an X-Force book.

FANTASTIC FOUR #587
I'm loving Hickman's run! I already want an Omnibus when its finished.

FF#1
This is essentially Fantastic Four #588 , but I understand the reasoning behind the name change. I love the new direction; costumes, teammates, etc.

UNCANNY X-MEN #534.1
and 535
I sadly dropped UXM last year due to Fraction's x-writing and Greg Land's art... but new writer KIERON GILLEN has won me over in 2 quick issues! He actually KNOWS the characters - how they ACT, how the TALK. I absolutely loved these two issues! I'm back... even with Land's return soon (he's a rotating artist), I may still pick this up... ok, I'll pick up the Land issues later as to not contribute to Sales Figures (my money is my message). Thank you, Gillen!!!!!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #655
I'm generally enjoying Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man run, but this issue stood out simply for the amazing sequential art storytelling by Marcos Martin. I wish he was the regular monthly artist on this book, but alas I heard he's moving onto other projects.

GREEN LANTERN #64
Geoff Johns Green Lantern.... Doug Manhke art... and the beginning of "WAR OF THE GREEN LANTERNS" crossover, which so far has me hooked! I had some GL Fatigue after Blackest Night and... just stopped caring about these books... but all systems go!

GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD WARRIORS #8
This is the best Green Lantern book right now! Writer PETER J. TOMASI is bringing it and the art by FERNANDO PASARIN is superb! I've already pre-ordered the hardcover, which collects the first 7 issues.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #58

I'm not loving this title, but its been ...entertaining... since Kirkham jumped onboard as artist (quasi-guilty pleasure). Like I said, I'm really enjoying this crossover, which this is apart of. On a side note, how is it possible they've made John Stewart even LESS interesting of late?

No comments: