Monday, March 05, 2012

RALPH McQUARRIE PASSED AWAY

We lost one of the all-time best this past weekend....

Legendary RALPH McQUARRIE passed away on Saturday at the age of 82.

No other artist has influenced me more than Ralph McQuarrie. His Imagination, Composition, Color Choices, Clean Lines and overall dynamic awesomeness transported me far, far away and taught me that Imagination has no limits. Even now, viewing his stunning Concept Art for the Original Star Wars Trilogy makes me giddy with inspiration. Visually, Star Wars IS Ralph McQuarrie.

Here is a small sampling of his amazing work:

REST IN PEACE, SIR.
THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!

9 comments:

Maker said...

You were awesome...thank you.

Anonymous said...

no friggin' way. :-( :-( :-(

RIP & THANK YOU to a truly talented genius.

Mark Navarro in the Philippines said...

"Visually, Star Wars IS Ralph McQuarrie."

Hello Jim. Long time lurker, first time poster. I don't have a blog so if you don't mind I'm gonna send some traffic your way. AMAP need to see this.

allen etter said...

awe crap. I always show his work during the art history class I teach. He was such an influence on my art in my early years. Thanks for posting so many of his works!

Phil Freeman said...

Thank you for posting this, Jim. McQuarrie made a big impact on my when I learned who he was and how he helped to define the look of Star Wars and sci-fi in general. I have several action figures and books based on his art, and I plan to get some posters now. May he rest in peace.

woobot said...

wow, it's sad to say, but I never knew... that Ralph really did create all the visuals known to the SW universe, original trilogy... Incredible.

A true master of the imagination.

R.I.P.

Locusta said...

A hero of my childhood and one other person, who inspired me to become an industrial designer.

Thank you mister!

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Who is thast painting of Vader and the Stormtroopers on the Blockade Runner by ?
Ralph Mc Quarrie, Ron Cobb, Joe Johnston, Syd Mead and Andrew Probert were my heroes throughout the 70's and 80's, they designed most of the iconic stuff from that whole era of filmaking !! Nobody these days can touch what these guys did. RIP Ralph McQuarrie !!

Jim said...

Apologies - a fanart illustration was mistakenly uploaded. Pic removed.