Thursday, October 25, 2012

QUASI-OPEN LETTER ABOUT THE 'PROMETHEUS' SHIP

For some odd reason, I've had several people get in my face about 'Prometheus' this past week. Even odder, they were yelling at me regarding the SHIP. Five people "informed" me that the design of the Prometheus ship was something never before seen in Sci-Fi... Primarily due to it having 4 thrusters and the fact that they rotated/pivoted. They argued  that for those reasons alone, I should like the movie.

Now please make note, I did enjoy the design of the Prometheus ship. However, in no way was the design "something never before seen in Sci-Fi." This post is addressing those arguing points:

Ok, so the 4 THRUSTERS....


We've seen ships with 4 Thrusters before. One example is in Star Trek with the *ahem* USS PROMETHEUS. They even went onto build other 4-Thruster starships which are labeled "Prometheus Class Starships".


Then there's the ROTATING/PIVOTING THRUSTERS....


We've seen this in the TV show 'Firefly', specifically on the show's main ship SERENITY.

Like I said, I dug the Prometheus' design. But to the 5 lunatics arguing the design was something new to the Sci-Fi genre, I disagree.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaahhhhh, yes... "nerd arguments". gotta love 'em! ;-D

Jim said...

This entire blog is a nerd argument.

James Cameron said...

The fact that they liked Prometheus the movie demonstrates they don't know what they're talking about.

T. said...

of course it was "new to scifi", since Prometheus is supposed to be some sort of prequel to Alien, and therefor is earlier than those other movies ;)