Monday, May 13, 2013

DAMIAN WAYNE: ROBIN


**SPOILER WARNING: This post has spoilers about the end of Batman "Death of the Family" and 'Batman Incorporated #8**

When DAMIAN WAYNE first showed up in the pages of 'Batman', I groaned with an eyeroll. His first few story arcs quickly made me hate the character and wish he would go away. What an unnecessary little turd! And to make him a Robin? Blasphemy.

But then something happened... due to the handling and development of the character by 'Batman and Robin' writer PETER J. TOMASI, I actually started to warm up to the character. Madness, I know. Then, around issue 17 of 'Batman and Robin', I caught myself actually LIKING the character! Unbelievable.

As I read the final issue of Snyder's "Death of the Family" (in the pages of 'Batman') I unexpectedly held my breadth as Batman raced to Damien's side to save him. My sigh of relief was unfortunately cut short extremely soon after, by the then-surprise ending to Grant Morrison's  'Batman Incorporated' #8 where Damien died. 

Tomasi made me like the unlikeable and I grieve over a fictional character. Tomasi's 'Batman and Robin' #18 addressed the immense loss felt by those closest around him. It's a silent issue and artist PATRICK GLEASON knocked it out of the park and over the trees. I'm not gonna lie to you - the issue made me tear up. Damien may of made his debut as an al Ghul, but died a Wayne and a ROBIN.

Rest in Peace, Damian Wayne. I had just started to like you, and mourn your passing... you little punk. *sniffle*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Damian Wayne Reading:
Batman (vol 1) #655-658......(1st app)
Batman (vol 1) #666 ......(future story of Damian as adult Batman)
Batman and Robin (vol 1) #1-3 ......(Dick Grayson is Batman, Damian Wayne is Robin)
Batman and Robin (vol 2 / New52) #1-8, 10, 0, 13-17
Batman Incorporated (vol 2 / New52) #6 ......(future story of Damian as adult Batman)
Batman Incorporated (vol 2 / New52) #7-8
Batman and Robin (vol 2 / New52) #18

No comments: