Monday, January 27, 2014

"MARVEL'S" "NEW" MIRACLEMAN

Marvel now owns the rights to MIRACLEMAN and is starting to reprint it issue-by-issue... with brand new recoloring.

[ Left = Original / Right = Recoloring ]

Many fans are pissed off at this and want a reprinted version that holds true to the original comic. I can understand that, after all the book has been out of print for decades. So for many, this is the first time they are conveniently able to read the famous book... albeit with a new feel. But I can also understand why Marvel is recoloring it. Personally I'm cool with it as I already own the original individual issues and the out-of-print trades. For me, this is akin to getting a old movie on blu ray... it looks different, but its pretty.... and I think this new recoloring is very pretty. It stays true to the original line work, and even enhances it. It does make this tale feel more "modern", so I'm interested in rereading this classic in a new way.

But I won't be buying the individual issues... primarily because when I picked up #1 in the store, it had a price tag of $6.00. Fuck that - too pricey for a monthly pick-up. If anything, I'll ask Santa for the recolored Hardcovers or Omnibus, should they ever make one.

There are 3 variant covers to Marvel's 'Miracleman' that I want.....

 [ Opena varian]

 [ Yu varian]

 [ Art Adams variant ]

 [ Jim Cheung variant ]

HOWEVER, of the few variants I've seen, they are going for about $25 each. I'm not spending $25 on a comic made after 1982. Let alone for a story I already own in individual issues and trade paperbacks.

Oh, one more thing.... 


So the writing credit in the Marvel reprint is by "The Original Writer", instead of "Alan Moore". Interesting...

No comments: